Discovery puts the power of self-service interactive dashboards, visualizations, and charts into your hands to monitor and drive business performance. Visualize numbers and charts side by side while you plan. See variances in a waterfall chart, personalize dashboards with your own KPIs, and perform period-over-period analysis. You’ll get greater visibility into business performance, confidence in the numbers, data-driven decision-making, and increased buy-in and accountability throughout the organization.
The following is an example of a Discovery dashboard. Various charts and visualizations are available to help you understand different types of data and metrics.
Create Perspectives and Dashboards
The first step when you build dashboards in Discovery is to add a new perspective. A perspective contains one or more dashboards and typically focuses on a functional area of the business. If you have edit permission, you can create as many perspectives as needed. You can view perspectives in a grid or list. Various sorting options are available.
- Click and type a name for the perspective.
You are now ready to add dashboards to your perspective. Dashboards appear as tabs in the perspective. Each dashboard can have one or more charts.
- Click . In the Appearance Settings on the right, type a name for the dashboard.
You can now add charts and visualizations to your dashboard by dragging and dropping charts to the dashboard and by dragging and dropping accounts to charts. The left side of the user interface is for chart and account selection and the right is for changing the appearance, and data and time settings.
- Click and drag and drop the desired chart type to the dashboard.
- In the Appearance Settings on the right, type a name for the chart.
- Click from the left pane of the screen and drag and drop the desired accounts to the chart.
- Click .
The sample chart compares planned revenue to actual revenue:
Within each type of chart there are different options to choose what data is visible and how it is displayed:
- Data Settings: Control the data and appearance of each data series. Options include version, filters, series type and color.
- Time Settings: Set the time displayed in the chart. Options include stratum, span, and type – pinned and unpinned time.
- Appearance Settings: Determine the look and feel of the chart including name, legends and scale.
The following chart was created to include:
- Year over year analysis
- Accumulated data with trend line
- Manual scaling
- Company branded colors
Interact with Charts
Once created and formatted, you can interact with your charts to perform ad-hoc analysis and delve deeper into the data.
Hover over individual data points to display point-in-time information:
Explore or drill down to details by related levels, dimensions or attributes:
Filter by Time
Analyze the data over various periods as defined in the related Planning model with granularity and calendar options:
Incorporate a chart or an entire dashboard in an external presentation by downloading an image:
Sharing a perspective makes it available to a wider audience:
You can grant either View and/or Edit permission to selected users:
Shared perspectives will display in the Shared section of your dashboard: