This article includes suggestions and workarounds. Content may not be accurate for all use cases or represent best practices for the latest release.
Why do I receive the message "the connection has timed out. (Firefox) or 'Internet Explorer cannot display webpage" almost daily?
This can occur for a few reasons, including:
- Your internet connection was interrupted during the export process
- If this is the case, you will want to ensure your internet connection is secure and attempt the export again
- A timeout setting for connections on your network or firewall is exceeded
- You will want to check with your IT/Networking team to see if they have a setting on your network or firewall to increase
- Your Browser has a timeout setting that is exceeded for this particular export
- Please see the steps below to increase this timeout for Firefox and Internet Explorer
Increase Firefox Timeout Setting
- In Firefox, you can type "about:config" into the address bar at the top to open Firefox's Configuration menu
- You can then select "I'll be careful, I promise" (Do not change other settings in the Configuration menu outside of what is described below)
- In the Search Bar on the Configuration screen, search for "network.http.response.timeout"
- Double-click on the number under “Value”
- Increase the value
- The number here is number of seconds until timeout. For Example: A value of 1200 would mean a connection of 20 minutes would be allowed.
Add/Increase Internet Explorer Timeout Setting
This process is a little more involved. Please check with your IT before proceeding.
To increase the timeout settings in Internet Explorer:
- Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.
- Locate and then click the following key in the registry: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\InternetSettings
- On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click DWORD Value.
- Type KeepAliveTimeout for the name and then press ENTER.
- On the Edit menu, click Modify.
- Change Base to Decimal
- Type the appropriate time-out value (in milliseconds), and then click OK. For example, to set the time-out value to twenty minutes, type 1200000.
- Restart Internet Explorer